Thursday, June 23, 2011

Let's Get Physical

Well I am happy to report that things are still going swimmingly for me this week. I have added a new responsibility to my job description as full time cancer patient. I was asked to participate in a new pilot project for 18 to 35 year olds currently undergoing treatment for cancer. The whole concept is around getting people with similar life circumstances together to exercise, discuss their anxieties, formulate healthy eating plans and get relationship/career advice. I am always up for some socializing and I have needed a reason to start getting more physically fit so I wanted to sign myself right up.

Today was my first day and probably the first time I have broken a sweat since I gave birth! No joke! It was really good and I felt so proud of how fit I still was despite going through physical and emotional hell the last few months. And the good news is that my white blood cell count is normal! Yes that is right – I have just as many white cells as all of you and that is something to be very happy about. Never have I loved “normal” more than now. Funny how my definition of what constitutes good has changed so dramatically. I remember Elle Woods in Legally Blonde using as her defense that exercise makes endorphins, endorphins make you happy and happy people don’t commit murder. Well I don’t think there is any danger of me committing a violent crime anytime soon (except maybe murdering a container of Ben and Jerry’s) yet I am feeling very uplifted by the whole experience. The time I have right now when my only responsibility is getting myself better also provides me with a golden opportunity and enough personal time to improve all aspects of my life. So I am determined to become the healthiest, happiest and best version of myself. And it starts now!

An Exuberant OBB

1 comment:

  1. Go Kate Go!
    the fun part of being more active, is that everything will benefit it: you moral, your body, your energy,..and keep those white blood cell like the average population, we all like it!!
    Who knows, maybe we can run a half together next year!
    xx

    ReplyDelete